Monday, February 22, 2010

the binki...friend or foe


I have just spent the last hour of my night, as I do many nights, holding the binki in Brielle's mouth.  It has become both my friend and enemy, I like that it helps soothe her to sleep but I hate that even when it seems she is asleep the second it falls out her eyes pop open and seems frantic till I put it back in her mouth.  She is almost 3 months now and still needs help with it.  People keep telling me, she'll figure it out...I am giving up hope!


It is hard sometimes to keep doing it but the results are worth it, a sweet baby, fast asleep...in her own bed.  I have a feeling me and the binki will have many more nights to work on our friendship :)

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I tried for a few months to get Gabe to take one. He would do the same thing, so I finally gave up and didn't offer it to him anymore. Then he sucked his thumb for about a month, then he sucked on a few fingers. Luckily that didn't stick either. Self soothing is hard to teach them...especially when they are so little! Find your grove and stick with it! She's adorable!

Heather Zwygart said...

I've had all three thumb suckers, binky babies and none!! All I can say is they all have there pluses and minuses! She will figure out what she wants (by the way Zadie is the thumb sucker and it is the worst!) Trust me we tried everything. In her ultrasound she was sucking her thumb!!

Stacey and Brody Miller said...

I love the binky. I don't know people survive withouth them. It wont be too much longer until she can grap it and put it in herself. Cute picture. I love sleeping babies.

Kristen said...

So having had 1 that had to have his binky and the other who gagged everytime we tried to give it to her I can tell you there are pros and cons to both. Kami didn't need a binky to fall asleep but at the same time, we have had the hardest time with her as far as getting her to go to sleep on her own. It is nice though because I don't have to worry about having it constantly like with Carter. He was addicted to that thing. Plus I don't have to worry about breaking her of the habit. Augh. I seriously don't know which way was better. Good luck though dear.

Kim said...

I have no opinion about these things. T & H didn't like them, but didn't sleep well anyway. She's getting so big. The whole binky thing will go by so quickly it won't be long until she's learning to walk, going to kindergarten, etc.

Brienne Alder said...

Try using a different kind of binki. that worked for us and she will only take a certain kind of shape. Maybe you have already.. i'm sorry that she and you are having a hard time with. I hope things get better for you and I'm certain they will.