Sunday, December 28, 2008

Moving Forward


My Mom and I were able to go with Brittea's Mom to dress her for the funeral.  I was a little nervous to see her but it ended up being such a healing experience.  We were able to spend an hour or so with her, dressing her, doing her hair, all of the things she loves. When I would watch Brittea we would often need something to do, and I would paint her nails.  So her Mom asked me if I would paint them one last time.  I painted them a pretty red that she would have loved.  I also made her a bracelet and necklace to wear.  I put a charm on it that said made for an angel, it was very fitting.  She is our angel.  As a mentioned earlier I thought it would be hard but the time we spent with her then will be something I will never forget.  Brittea was so good at giving her love, I know she is still loving us now and giving the comfort we need to move forward. Her Mom has showed more strength than I could imagine and I know that is why.



Christmas this year was a bit more mellow considering the circumstances.  I was talking with one of my neighbors who said, this year you will be closer to the spirit, and she was right.  We were able to really think about the true meaning, the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Because of his life and sacrifice on this earth we will be able to be with Brittea again.  And that is one thing we had to be happy about.  It also allowed me to think about the people in my life I am so grateful for, my family.  I have the most wonderful family.  I am so blessed.  They are a gift to me everyday.  Isn't it funny that sometimes it takes us going through hard times to realize what is important in life, to realize that we have little bits of heaven in our lives.   

10 comments:

Clements Family said...

What a cute family picture-I wonder who took it! We had so much fun chatting with you guys-I am glad you married Derek. He is great! I love that you made Brittea a necklace and bracelet. You were so sweet to her!

Jana said...

You are so sweet. Brittea was so lucky to have you. What a special day for you to spend it saying good-bye to her in a way she would have loved.

Aggie Fam said...

Love you Bre! You are an amazing daughter. It was so wonderful to spend so much time together, and I do think Brittea brought us even closer. She will continue to be an amazing force in our lives and I hope we are always worthy to have her spirit with us because she was perfect.

Leslie said...

Bre- I'm so glad that you were able to be there to help! I know how special she was to you! I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!

Kim said...

I think that before you do something like that, you think it will be weird, or gross, but you find out that it is a very reverent place and it is one last act of service for someone you love. It's a great experience and it's something you will remember the rest of your life. It's also interesting how peaceful it is in a funeral home or mortuary. I hope that being able to dress Brittea and do her nails, and make her the necklace and bracelet, gave you a sense of peace and closure. I know you loved her, and will miss her, but she's free now. She's free!

sam and kyrsten said...

bre im so sorry about brittea. taryn told me how she helped you make beautiful necklace. Im sure she is in the spirit world right telling everyone about one of the most amazing people in her life! I am positive you made a huge difference in that little girls life! i hope you had a good christmas! we love you!

Heather Zwygart said...

What aspecial time for you! Thank you for sharing.

me and him said...

bre, you are such a sweet girl. i haven't been able to ask you how it all went so i'm so glad i found your blog! i've been thinking so much lately about death, and i've come to the conclusion that when the Lord takes the best of the best back to live with him, i am certain they are needed for a task far greater than ours. i'm sure she is becoming the best missionary. i never knew her, but through your sweet posts about her i'm positive she really is an angel, and what a great missionary that would make.

i guess we're going to your ward now. i'm sure you'll be proud of us! talk to ya soon.

oh and if you want to see our blog send me an email. aloha_ms2@hotmail.com

Hxuxcvg said...

Howdy neighbors! I don't know how I cam across your blog, but I'm glad I did! :) Hope you guys had a very merry christmas and a happy new year!

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

This is such a sad but touching circumstance. You have such a big heart!