We really can't complain about parenting our child up till this point because, honestly, we really haven't had to. She is a good natured, pleasant, and rather obedient for an almost 2 year old. Like I said her behavior can't be credited to us as she just came wired this way. For example today we walked into church, she folds her arms and quietly goes and sits on a chair for sacrament. I'd like to say we taught her that but no she just does it.
We have recently come upon an issue that seemingly requires parenting skills and I realize am not well equipped.
taking away the binki
I have selfishly been avoiding this day because nap times and bed times at our house are a BREEZE. I just lay her in bed and she doesn't make a peep. I couldn't bring myself to deal with it!
The "deedee" has we lovingly refer to it in our house is a prized possession. We knew this day was coming so to prepare the deedee only made appearances while in bed. Brielle is getting smart about that and when she gets tired she will tell me "deedee I. nigh nigh". Derek and I have talked about it and decided it was finally time to say bye bye to the deedee. (sigh and drag feet here)
Last night was the big night. I talked to her about that she is going to be a big sister and the baby will need the binki now. Which led to Brielle asking "Baby cry?", this put us onto a whole different topic. Needless to say, she didn't get it. We put her in bed and she immediately starting asking for it. When we didn't give it to her, she started crying. She cried for a half hour. Listening to your kids cry is torture. My heart was racing, I was feeling terrible wondering if we were handling this right.
At that point I decided to give her the binki but cut the top off. I felt a little better that way because then it would be more her realizing she doesn't want it anymore. That did not go well either. She continued to cry for another half hour before crying herself to sleep. While I went to sleep feeling like a horrible Mom. Fantastic night for all.
She just went down for a nap and cried for 15 minutes, much better than the hour so hopefully tonight goes as well as nap time did.
I have been so worked up about this issue I started thinking about the rest of her life and parenting on tougher issues. Being a parent is hard and scary and sometimes not fun. I know we have to do things for our kids NOW because it will be better for them in the FUTURE but just because I am supposed to do it doesn't mean it is easy or more importantly, that I'm even 100% sure I'm doing it right.
So back to the age old question, where is my instruction manual???
4 comments:
Bree-I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job. Haley was almost 3 before she gave up the binkie-and only after I cut the end off. And she turned out ok (I think :)) There is no manual-just lots of love and prayer. Good luck!
It is so hard to listen to your kids cry, no matter how many times you are telling yourself that it needs to be done. I usually sit outside their door and cry with them, but it always works itself out eventually. :)
Oh that is so hard! You are great parents...you inspire me. :)
Hope operation binki is going better! You guys are doing great even with out the manual...but if you end up finding it anyways just pass it my way! :)
Post a Comment