I have been lucky to have great friends who always inspire me to become a better person. Before Christmas I was able to spend time with 2 people very dear to me, Taryn and Shelley. We were chatting as only us girls can and the topic of creating a Christ centered Christmas for our families came up. The girls shared some thoughts they had found about giving a gift to Christ and opening it first on Christmas morning. I have thought about that a lot since then and what gift I would give to the Savior. I didn't want to just say anything like read my scriptures more or pray more, I wanted it to be personal to me, something I really needed to give.
My first gift idea came to me last Sunday in YW sang a primary song and one verse hit me.
If you don't walk like most people do, some people walk away from you, but I won't I won't.
Jesus walked away from none, he gave his love to everyone, so I will I will.
I want to try to judge less and love more. Easier said then actually done but I know this is something that I need to improve in my life. As President Monson would say, maybe my windows are the dirty ones.
My last idea was given to me by my awesome brother in law who is heading of to Argentina in just 2 short months. He is a spiritual giant. I am so impressed by him and know he will be a great missionary. For Christmas he gave us all a Book of Mormon and challenged everyone in the family to read it before he comes home from his mission. Derek and I talked about it and we are going to read it in 2011. One year seems like a long time but I know it will still take effort and it is a goal I need to set for myself.
My gifts have become my New Years resolutions, I know that these are things that will strengthen my testimony, family, and home. I know that if I do them I will have the gratitude and strength needed to take on whatever 2011 will bring us.
5 comments:
I love it! I'm so glad we could spend quality time together while I was in UT. I love you so much, Bre!
this post is me too!
I heard someone say in a recent RS lesson a quote from Mother Theresa, "if you judge people, you have no time to love them". I've been trying really hard to make that my mantra and help me to judge less and love unconditionally more.
It's one of my resolutions too!
So is ready the BOM. So good luck to both of us!!
ps. I miss you!! I'll call you soon and we'll phone date!
Love your New Year's Resolutions. I think I am going to copy!
PS...we do have a great family:)
What great resolutions. I think you are amazing. I'm sure your windows are perfectly clean, but I guess it's a good idea to make them spotless ;)
That is such a good idea for a Christmas tradition!! I'm going to write it down right now so that I can start doing that next year: first gift opened is the gift for the Savior! SO cool.
Post a Comment